21 February 2019

So we bought a shop!

Exciting times ahead as last October we bought an old pet shop in Cullercoats. Ross and I have always wanted to run our own gallery. We have been looking for premises for a couple of years but it was tricky to find a large enough space for a gallery and studio, with an office, close to the seafront.....my list of requirements was quite large! 
We thought this property was already sold but by chance we passed in the car and saw it back on the market.....with only a few days until the auction. It was a huge risk but we went for it and made an offer. 
 As you can see it was in need of a bit of work, the property is 1930's I think and has been a Pet Shop for some 20-30 years prior. We know this as most of Ross' school friend bought their family pets from here!

We took out a large cupboard in the the back room to make more space for my studio. When I say we, I mean our builder Martin and his team!  As with all old buildings we have discovered rotten floorboards, had to strengthen the roof with steal beams, install central heating, new windows, insulation, new w.c. etc etc. 





I couldn't resist keeping a few features like the brick pillars. I would have loved to have kept the old brick fireplace too, but it was in a poor condition.

It's been a big learning curve and the builders, electricians, plumber and joiner have been very patient with my indecision and constant changes of plans. We started out with a biro sketch with a few ideas of what we wanted...not exactly architectural plans but we seem to have winged it so far!  

Ross getting his hands dirty.
New flooring.


So that is progress so far...we still have a way to go with the finishing touches but we are hoping to be open by the end of March!